I love many of the fabrics from Saffron Craig but they are rather costly. I bought three of their prints recently including a yard of this owl print in aqua.
However, a yard is not enough to make a top for me. I normally require at least one and a half to two yards for a simple top so I decided to use the owl print with some brown fabric to create a blouse adapted from this Mod Dress suggestion in Wendy Mullin’s book Built By Wendy Dresses.
Instead of zipper which was required for the dress, the blouse is secured with one button on the back. I used two front darts instead of four on the sewing pattern as I wanted to retain the owls in their original form.
At first, I used a normal width bias tape for the neckline which holds together the back, sleeves and front sections of the blouse but it looked rather flimsy so I called upon my good friend the seam ripper and replaced it with an extra wide bias tape. I think it made a difference and the top looked better put together.
Meet the cute owls. Hoot Hoot!