Here’s my version of the vintage jumpsuit from Simplicity 9677 made with ikea fabric. The pattern comes with doggy ear collar, puffy gathered sleeves and a zipper front. I love the idea of a zipper front. It is just so convenient and easy to put on.
As it turned out, I adored the collar. It didn’t come out as long as what was showed on the sewing pattern cover. I used interfacing for it despite using a medium weight cotton. Oh! I didn’t make it jet black as I kinda like the little off-white detail on the extreme left side. Other than that, the collar is completely black. Since, I do not wear skirts, I didn’t bother making the add-on. I have not gotten used to the puffy sleeves though as I think they are kinda over the top.
Did I adhere to the sewing pattern? For most parts I did. Nonetheless, I reduced the seam allowance for the shorts to 1cm instead of 1.5 so that it is more roomy. I thought the back of the jumpsuit was a little too straight forward so I did an oval-shaped cut out which I love. I also like the shaping created by all the darts at the back of the jumpsuit.
After making this jumpsuit I actually think knit fabric rather than woven ones would be more appropriate for this design. I also think the pattern can be pretty versatile. I might create a sleeveless or cap sleeve version in knit someday, perhaps with a hood instead of the collar.
In terms of sewing instructions, they were clear but I didn’t follow all the steps. I figured out I didn’t need the front and back facing for the jumpsuit if I folded in the seam twice behind the zipper and for the collar, I attached it the way I did a men’s shirt, by folding in its bottom.