Floral Blouse i

Today I made my first blouse from a Japanese sewing book, ‘Les couleurs francaises’. As I have never tried a Japanese pattern, I thought I better start with an easier project. The 26 projects in this book are identified by the English alphabet and I chose project i as it didn’t look too difficult and more importantly, required the least fabric.

This is the picture of project i from the book.

The pattern consisted of a front yoke, front bodice, a back piece and tie straps for the left sleeve. You could also cut your own bias tape but I used commercial ones.

I made my version using the above light weight Japanese floral fabric from Yuwa and here it is:

I find that having used the Built By Wendy Dresses book helped me in drafting from Japanese patterns. I am already used to tracing the pattern onto my own pattern paper. The only difference was, on Wendy’s book it was obvious where the patterns were, for Japanese sewing patterns, you have to do a search on these papers containing overlapping patterns for various projects. Looking at this did intimidated me a little at the beginning but at the end of the project, I will say it was not too bad 🙂  What an innovative way to save trees too!

Similarly, I am used to adding my own seam allowances. Besides the standard 1.5cm allowance, this project called for 0.5cm allowances for the neckline and armholes and 3cm for the hem. I think I have been a little bit spoilt by how fitting the colette pattern dresses and the Sabrina dress were. I found the blouse had way too much ease at the side seams and probably it was meant to be as I noticed from the project photograph. I did take in the seams to make it more of what I would normally wear. Somehow, more ease looked sloppy on me though it looked gorgeous on the model. I made a size 11 which is medium for Japanese sizes since I normally wear M for dresses from Muji. For a more personal touch, I added a red hand dyed vintage doily I got from this seller on etsy and a vintage green button just before the tie strap.

I soon realized the language barrier was not an issue. While the steps in the pattern book were written in Japanese, there was always a main diagram, like the one below, which showed me the sequence for sewing the project and was a tremendous help. There were also very clear and detailed diagrams for more complicated steps.

Thank God for diagrams as these completely put me at ease and I was able to complete this blouse in approximately four hours. Pretty gratifying!!!

Advertisements

20 thoughts on “Floral Blouse i

  1. a pretty top! interesting ribbon sleeve and great for the hot weather too. thanks for sharing about the book. i’ll love to take a peep at it in the bookstore next time.

  2. great top! I would love to make stuff from Japanese pattern books but the fact that I know no Japanese freaks me out a bit. Questions – do built by wendy books patterns have no seam allowance? I have her first book and have yet to make anything from it so that will help me greatly to know that for when I do. Thanks!

  3. Thanks Kat! I can’t read Japanese either so the blogs with translations really helped me in identifying all the notions 🙂 On the Built By Wendy books, if I remember correctly, Sew U and Sew U Home Knit patterns contain seam allowances, it is only her third book Built By Wendy Dresses that does not come with seam allowance. Hope that clarifies 🙂

  4. It looks great!! I’ve honestly never noticed if any of my Japanese patterns require different seem allowances for different parts of the garment. Hmmm…. I wonder!

  5. Your top turned out great (love the addition of the doily and button). I’d been wondering about how complicated Japanese pattern books were – thanks for the info! I find that, as long as there are diagrams, I can sew almost anything. I have a pattern that I recently downloaded from Burda Style that I’m scared to make since there are absolutely no diagrams!

  6. Thanks Miss Dandy! You are spot on regarding the diagrams! They were the lifesaver in my attempt at Japanese patterns and I find many of the burdastyle downloads confusing because the diagrams were either too small or totally lacking.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s