Lady Grey in progress

Finally I got to start work on my Lady Grey. While I wasn’t able to follow the sewalong schedule, I have been following Gertie’s posts on Lady Grey closely. I am definitely going for the bound buttonhole after reading her tutorial on it. I’ve never attempted this before so I am pretty excited. Before I start on that, however, I wanted to ensure the fit was right or at least near it. So, after cutting out the shell pieces yesterday, I sewed the main pieces together this afternoon just to try out the fit. I didn’t have to make any alternations to my macaron dress which was also from Colette pattern so I was hopeful that the fit will be all right. I wasn’t disappointed as I liked what I saw at the end of the afternoon. Love how the front turned out. Please excuse my hand as I have not done the buttons 😛I think a well positioned button instead of my hand pressing down on the coat could remove some of the wrinkles below the lapel.

In particular, I loved the feminine peplum with its natural folds. These help a lot with proportions and definitely added points to how flattering a coat can be. It almost felt like I was wearing a mini dress!The side wasn’t too bad as well. The back had slightly more wrinkles but I thought I should sew on the sleeves tomorrow before deciding if I wanted to insert shoulder pads and make some adjustments to the back centre seam to see if I can get rid of those wrinkles at the waist. If you have any suggestion on how to improve how it looks, please let me know 🙂

I intended to make a light coat rather than one for winter cos’ obviously we have no winter here and a light coat will increase its chances of being worn during either a spring or autumn vacation. My husband and I agreed that we would not be bringing the kids on any winter vacation till they are slightly older and more resilient. The fabric is a home decor weight fabric from ikea which was on sale for US$3 per meter. Some of it went to the creation of my lil prince’s toy bag and I had about 3.5 meters left for this pattern. After laying the pattern tissues on the fabric, I was happy that it was indeed sufficient for the project! I am still toying with the idea of making my own fabric button for the coat and am happy to have found a really cute fabric for the lining which I will show you in later post. Let’s just say this is gonna be a fun Lady!

Advertisements

11 thoughts on “Lady Grey in progress

  1. You could try taking in the back centre seam a tiny bit and see if it helps with the wrinkles. You might need a slight swayback adjustment (a lot of people seemed to) which would require re-cutting the back pieces, however (it’s covered pretty thoroughly in the sew-along, as I’m sure you’re aware.) Definitely see what adding the sleeves does to the back, though.

    It looks lovely! Such a gorgeous colour!

  2. Oh I love red coats and the style of this one is so cute. I am thinking that putting the sleeves on will eliminate most of the wrinkles in the back of the jacket. You are such a great sewer.

    Thanks for putting the link to the buttonhole because I really want to learn how to do buttonhole. It is the one thing that stops me from sewing some things I’d really love to sew.

  3. I didn’t read that you had used any interfacing. Did I miss that? The interfacing should add enough supportto remove all the wrinkling. You are very fortunate. I neve have a pattern fit me right out of the envelope. I think I like the Lady Grey best of all, in this Red

  4. Tanit-Isis :
    You could try taking in the back centre seam a tiny bit and see if it helps with the wrinkles. You might need a slight swayback adjustment (a lot of people seemed to) which would require re-cutting the back pieces, however (it’s covered pretty thoroughly in the sew-along, as I’m sure you’re aware.) Definitely see what adding the sleeves does to the back, though.
    It looks lovely! Such a gorgeous colour!

    Thanks so much! That’s great advise. I will definitely see if taking in the back centre helps and if it looks better after sleeve attachment, if not the more dramatic swayback adjustment but hopefully that’s not necessary 😛

  5. Sue :
    Oh I love red coats and the style of this one is so cute. I am thinking that putting the sleeves on will eliminate most of the wrinkles in the back of the jacket. You are such a great sewer.
    Thanks for putting the link to the buttonhole because I really want to learn how to do buttonhole. It is the one thing that stops me from sewing some things I’d really love to sew.

    Hi Sue, I hope so too! You are most welcomed and I will say take buttonholes as a challenge. After a few, they shouldn’t stop you from attempting any projects with them. Go for it!

  6. sdBev :
    I didn’t read that you had used any interfacing. Did I miss that? The interfacing should add enough supportto remove all the wrinkling. You are very fortunate. I neve have a pattern fit me right out of the envelope. I think I like the Lady Grey best of all, in this Red

    The pattern required interfacing for the collar and front/back facings but not for the rest of the pieces so I didn’t use interfacing for them. hmmm… thanks for suggesting this option. I have not considered it before but will do a trial to see if it makes a difference when taking in and sleeve attachment does not work out the wrinkles 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s