Made Me June
It has been cloudy and rainy for the past few days with even some flooding at various places on Sunday. Trying to get water, flowers or playgrounds in my MMJ photos was harder than I had imagined so I just had to get more creative with it.
day 4. saturday. rainy. 23 to 32 degrees celsius
Puddles of water after the rain LOL. Hope that’s acceptable 🙂
Outfit: Reflection of the moon frock
Hours worn: 6 hours
day 5. sunday. rainy. 23 to 31 degrees celsius
Indoor kiddy rides- hope that passes as playground 😛
Outfit: 50s Inspired Sabrina dress (without cape)
Hours worn: 7 hours
The Sew Weekly
This week at The Sew Weekly, we are making a garment from a single or pair of pillowcases. It was really tough finding cheap pillowcases in Singapore (no fabrics, tablecloths or pillowcase at the thrift shop, yikes!) and you can read more about my pillowcase shopping attempts on my TSW post this week.
When I finally found these pillowcases on sale at spotlight, I grabbed them thinking they are perfect for a mod dress. I love the purple/ black and white print!
These are European pillowcases so they are not longer but wider, squarish in shape. The texture was stiff and reminded me of my son’s swim shorts. So, eventually I decided to make a vintage bathing suit out of it and some swimwear lining I have in my stash.
I tried to match the print the best that I could but didn’t have enough fabric to match the lower band of the top which was quite a bummer. For contrast and to make the garment more interesting, I used some red bias tape and buttons on the top.
The top photos were taken by with my new canon camera but I realized I couldn’t use that camera for my bathroom shots (Or rather I’m still unsure about the settings to use in that environment). They all turned out too dark so for those close up shots, so I used my automatic camera.
A scallop bias (which works like piping) was used between the bra cup piece and the lower band to make it more interesting and I also used a plastic zipper with lace like edge for the shorts.The patterns
I used Simplicity 3250 for the bra top and Simplicity 1124 for the shorts. As I have used the shorts pattern before, I knew it didn’t require much fabric and was high-waisted enough to cover my stretch marks. My only modification was to shorten it by not cutting the hem band and replacing the grosgrain ribbon (waist facing) for the waist with red bias tape. It’s real quick and easy to sew!
The bra top pattern turned out to be really easy to sew as well and instructions were very clear. I love the shaping formed by the pleats in the middle and gathers at the side of the top.
I am gonna be making full use of this at the pool on weekends for sure! Absolutely loving the 1950s vibe of the bathing suit!
Have a blessed week my sewing comrade! Next week, we will be sewing a black and white garment for the ascot races (Yes, inspired by My Fair Lady’s ascot scene!), do join us for the challenge!