With hand, foot & mouth disease reaching epidemic level here in Singapore, my kids’ have been staying home these two weeks. That meant lots of fun drawing, coloring, playing and very little sewing. But, I did manage to whip up my Miu Miu inspired gingham shirtdress and a princess size version too.
My shirtdress was made using a modern-day sewing pattern, McCall’s 5801, one of the very first patterns I bought during a time I was crazy about the shirtdresses I saw on Modcloth. This is my only ‘Made-for-you’ pattern which came with different bodice pieces for cup sizes A/B, C and D. The princess seams made the top half very flattering but I did have to adjust the fit from midriff to waist for a better fit. Here’s a close-up shot of the dress I took using my phone camera during last Saturday’s morning tea.
I also didn’t use the original skirt pattern as my fabric didn’t have the width required so mine is just two gathered rectangular pieces. I avoided a button down skirt as my princess has a tendency to drag and pull my skirts all the time and I didn’t want to risk it getting unbuttoned at anytime. There is a side pocket on one side of the dress and an invisible side zipper on the other. The sleeves are totally modified. I loved the cap sleeves on the Miu Miu dress and wanted something closer to that so I modified the sleeves from my Japanese sewing pattern for this dress and adore how it looked on the shirtdress. The inside of the sleeves are finished with mini gingham bias tape and french seams at the shoulders as pictured below.
It was a fun and challenging attempt to match the gingham while sewing the princess seams/ centre back seams on the front and back bodice. Here’re the back seams.It wasn’t my original plan to make this a mother-daughter sewing project but after finishing my dress, I saw this red gingham woven fabric with slight stretch from my Shanghai trip and thought it would be so cute if my daughter wore a shirtdress made of it with me and so that’s what I did. I made her version using Simplicity 4628, a 50s sewing pattern.
And I must confess that I love those collars and that horizontal pleat skirt of hers so much!
And yes, I tried my best to match the seams where possible. Here are her sides.
The kids will be back in school next week and hopefully that means more time for sewing!