50s Inspired Sabrina Cape Dress Part 2

Thanks for waiting, I am now ready to unveil the 50s inspired Sabrina Cape Dress. Yes, the entire outfit!

With cape

Without cape

This outfit was inspired by the image below originally posted by the Selfish Seamstress. Do you think my part modern, part vintage pattern combination successful delivered the outfit?

My review on burdastyle’s Sabrina dress sewing pattern can be found on my previous post.  I adapted the cape portion from my seriously overused butterick B5032.

It’s funny that I’ve used this cape pattern for two very different capes and never the one on the pattern cover. The other one is here. I cut the pattern pieces for the front and back of the cape, did the darts, sewed the front and back pieces together and did a fitting with the dress on. I identified where the front had to end so that the cape can be buttoned to the dress. I cut away the excess fabric and sewed on a poly lining.  After another fitting to ascertain the placement, buttonholes were sewn on.

Oh! And I just wanted to show a better photo of the cute egg colored buttons i mentioned in the last post and the iron-on hemming tape I discovered at Daiso.

I read about the Very Purple Person using the hemming tapes on her projects and was curious about it. So, I decided to give it a try when I found it. It is a dream to use! Your hem is finished beautifully in a few seconds!

TGIF! Have a fantastic and rejuvenating weekend everyone!


Meet Cape Tara!

The Sew Convert is utterly happy and utterly exhausted. I have completed the third and final Tara for the Tara Experiment Week! My source of inspiration is a cape dress from Harvey Faircloth which I mentioned in a previous post. Meet Cape Tara. My most versatile Tara so far.

The fabric is a discounted cotton fabric from Spotlight. I bought 2 metres of it at US$6.50. It is a light weight cotton but not as sheer as voile. I adapted the cape from my vintage butterick  B5032 pattern.

The blouse can also be wore without the cape.

I used white bias tape to create the tie-string sleeves. The fabric had rather cute fringes on its selvages so I cut pieces of them and added these to the back and front neckline area of the blouse as shown below.

I tried the blouse on after finishing the sleeves and realized I do not need to insert the elastic. So, I didn’t. However, I did tighten the fit around the waist area.

To create the cape, I cut the front and back pieces of the pattern, excluded the lining and shortened the length of the cape. The fabric selvages were also used as I cut the cape front centre on them so they finished like what is shown in the photo below. The cape is held together by snap closure but I stitched on a button made with the blouse fabric to coverup the snap. White ric rac was then sewn around the cape.

Psst…If you do not have a cape pattern, Ruffles & Stuff has a cape tutorial 🙂

For the Sew Convert, I am glad I have the weekend to recharge and sew more tops next week. Blessed weekend everyone!